Located: Thurso, Caithness
Owner: Private consortium
Back in 1821 the Wolfburn distillery was founded on the outskirts of Thurso and named Wolfburn after the watercourse it drew from. Wolfburn grow up to be the largest distillery in Caithness, but somewhere around 1877 Wolfburn closed its doors, for unknown reasons. Today very little of the original distillery remains.
In 2012 a private consortium, with the formerly Glanfarclas manager Shane Fraser as the Wolfburn front man, gained approval to build a new Wolfburn distillery located only 350m from the original distillery. In January 2013 after building the distillery, the new spirits once again started to flow.